Feb 07 2014
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
• 3/4 cup butter, softened
• 2 cups sugar
• 3 eggs
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup baking cocoa
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
• CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
• 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
• 1/2 cup butter, cubed
• 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
• 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
• RASPBERRY FILLING:
• 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
• 1/4 cup red raspberry preserves
• 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
• 1 teaspoon raspberry liqueur
• CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE:
• 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
• Chocolate curls and fresh raspberries
1 slice (calculated without chocolate curls and raspberries) equals 656 calories, 31 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 301 mg sodium, 94 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Jan 30 2014
You may remember from a previous blog (“Sports Superstitions – do they work?”) that I am not a die-hard sports fan. Therefore, this Sunday, for me, is more about the cute commercials and the good food that are traditional parts of “Super Bowl Sunday”... (Super Bowl is this Sunday, right?)
A friend of mine, who I suspect feels the same way I do about the game, posted this Kraft recipe and it had all the necessary ingredients; cream cheese (guilty pleasure), hot sauce (as much as you want), and it’s easy. Just my speed. There are a few other ingredients like chicken and cheese which only add to my anticipation of enjoying this real soon, like on Sunday.
So here it is, enjoy, and GO Denver and Seattle! (aren’t you impressed I know who’s playing?!)
http://myphil.ly/19YT91X (go to this link for reviews and tips)
PHILADELPHIA Buffalo Chicken Dip
What You Need
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1 pkg. (6 oz.) OSCAR MAYER Deli Fresh Oven Roasted Chicken Breast
½ cup FRANK’S® RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
¼ cup KRAFT Natural Blue Cheese Crumbles
2 green onions, sliced
SPREAD cream cheese onto bottom of microwaveable 9-inch pie plate.
COMBINE chicken and pepper sauce; spoon over cream cheese. Top with blue cheese and onions.
MICROWAVE on HIGH 2 min. or until heated through.
(a few reviewers suggested baking instead of microwaving, I think I would agree)
Jan 28 2014
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min.
MAKES: 8 servings
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup milk
3 cups thin dill pickle slices, drained
Oil for deep-fat frying
Ranch salad dressing, optional
1. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another bowl, beat eggs and milk. Blot pickles with paper towels to remove moisture. Coat pickles with flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture; coat again with flour mixture.
2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry pickles, about 10 at a time, for 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with ranch dressing if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fried Dill Pickle Coins in Taste of Home August/September 2004,
Jan 27 2014
Happy Birthday to anyone (including myself!) who has a birthday in the cold, snowy, blustery month of January! I have had many a birthday party cancelled due to unexpected snow storms where guests didn’t feel like driving, or going out at all, in the snow!!
One of the warmest things the month of January has to offer is its beautiful birthstone, Garnet. The gemstone Garnet comes in a variety of colors from the deepest red to a bold green. In between those colors are shades of beautiful oranges and yellows. Probably the most commonly recognized shade is the rich, deep, dark red to which the gemstone Garnet derived its name. Garnet derives from the word granatum, which means seed, and is referring to the Garnet’s resemblance to the pomegranate seed.
Keep in mind the beautiful Garnet for friends with January birthdays…as the gemstone also represents eternal friendship and trust!
Jan 20 2014
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup ranch salad dressing
1/2 cup sour cream
5 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 green onion, sliced
1/4 cup (calculated without chips) equals 167 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 348 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 8 g protein.
1. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, dressing, sour cream and blue cheese. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Layer with chicken, wing sauce and 1 cup cheese. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until heated through.
2. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and onion. Serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 6 cups.