Apr 17 2014
We've moved on from one season to the next which usually means our wardrobe makes a change too! It's time to clean out that closet and we've written some tips to make this difficult task a bit easier for you!
1. Pull out everything that is on a hanger! If you pull everything out and lay it out in front of you it's easier to decide what items will make the cut. Then you can either hang them back up or store them away if they fall in the fall/winter category.
2. Ask yourself "would I buy this again?" If you were at a store today and you saw this item on the rack would you purchase it? If the answer is no, put it in the donation bag!
3. Take inventory! Did you realize that you have 12 pairs of jeans? Probably not! I bet there are a few pair hiding in the closet that you haven't worn in quite a while so why not give them away?
4. Store small items in baskets! Do you keep hats or scarves in your closet? Put them in baskets and store on a shelf to make room. If you have winter hats and gloves in your closet, store them in bins or storage bags for the next several months.
5. Don't forget the footwear! Do you have 3 or 4 pairs of sneakers? Consider donating the pair you no longer wear to make room in your closet. Purchase over the door organizers to store small footwear like flip flops so they can stay off the floor and out of your way!
Tags:cleaning out your closet. how to organize your closet, closet purging
Apr 14 2014
With Earth Day quickly approaching it's time to start saving energy! There are plenty of simple things you can do to help you reduce your energy consumption and limit your environmental impact.
1. Turn off your dishwasher's drying cycle and allow your dishes to air dry.
2. Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs. These provide the same amount of light while using less energy.
3. Shut off and unplug your electronic devices when you're not using them! This includes your cell phone charger that seems to always stay plugged in.
4. Use a toaster oven to warm up leftovers rather than your regular oven.
5. Avoid over-drying your clothes in the dryer. Check them before the cycle is over to see if they need the extra 15 minutes to dry or not.
Tags:saving energy, easy ways to reduce energy, saving energy at home
Apr 09 2014
Let's all admit it, somewhere in our house we have a junk drawer. Whether it's that drawer right next to your kitchen sink or the top drawer of your home desk, there's a spot in your house where junk makes it's home. Here are 8 steps to organizing your junk drawer!
1. Dump out the drawer - It's important to see what you have in your junk collection. Tip the drawer upside down so you can get a closer look at everything.
2. Clean it - Once everything is out of the drawer, grab a wet cloth and wash it down with a little soap.
3. Test the writing utensils - You know there are at least 5-10 pens in that drawer and some of them may not even work! Toss out the ones that are out of ink.
4. Toss the junk - Expired coupons? Old receipts? Start tossing/shredding the items that don't serve a purpose.
5. Use an organizer - Purchase a plastic or wire organizer with trays that will fit in the drawer and start giving everything a designated home. (i.e. takeout menus, pens, batteries, etc).
6. Store small items in plastic bags first - Items like thumbtacks, batteries, coins etc can be stored in plastic Ziplock bags before they are put into their tray in the drawer to reduce clutter.
Tags:junk drawer, organizing junk drawer, cleaning out the junk drawer, spring cleaning
Apr 04 2014
Having trouble sleeping? Sometimes when we first move into a new apartment or house it can take some time to adjust to our new surroundings. Here are five ways to help you get a better night's sleep!
1. Skip the afternoon coffee- Sometimes when 2:00 hits we feel like we need a boost to give us a little energy. In order to sleep better at night try to avoid caffeinated beverages after noon.
2. Have a glass of milk- Eating a very light snack along with a glass of milk about an hour before bedtime can help you catch some z's.
3. Prep for bed - If you are someone who has a hard time getting tired at night, create a routine for yourself! About an hour before you'd like to go to bed lower the lights, fluff the pillows and put on your slippers!
4. Have quiet time - Going out late at night or listening to the TV or radio can rev your engine instead of slow it down. Spend the last few hours before bed quietly reading or relaxing.
5. Lower your thermostat- Getting too warm at night is a culprit for sleep deprivation. Lower your thermostat several degrees before bed so you aren't woken up abruptly hours later.
Tags:how to sleep better, ways to get better sleep, ways to stay asleep at night
Mar 28 2014
After a LONG winter we all may feel a little sluggish but it's time to get our energy back! Did you know that there are ways that living in an apartment can benefit your exercise routine? Keep reading to learn our tips for living a healthy lifestyle in your apartment home!
1. Use the stairs! If you live on a floor above the ground floor try using the stairs instead of the elevator. Even doing this just once a day will benefit your health.
2. Use your apartment gym! Does your apartment have a facility with exercise equipment? Take advantage of it! Most gym memberships cost around $25 a month but when you live in an apartment sometimes you get this benefit for free!
3. Organize a workout group! Does your apartment have a common area? Maybe recommend to the staff that they offer weekly Zumba classes or even get together with some of the other residents and try yoga together!
4. Walk! The great thing about living in an apartment is that you always have neighbors around! Plan a walking route around your apartment area and get together with neighbors to walk in the evenings or on the weekend to get some exercise in.