Feb 12 2016
You don’t have to spend a ton of money to get the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for your Valentine. Instead, try making something yourself! A DIY gift is guaranteed to be cherished much more than the typical flowers and chocolates! Try one of these great ideas this Sunday.
1. Make your own photo scrapbook or album
2. Bake a batch of heart-shaped cookies
3. Make a mix CD or playlist
4. Knit a blanket or a scarf to keep them warm
5. Cook a delicious 3 course meal
6. Serve your Valentine breakfast in bed
7. Write a poem
8. Draw a picture (this one is perfect for the kids to give mom or dad)
9. Make a homemade coupon book for your valentine to redeem house chores
10. Write a list of 100 reasons why they’re you’re Valentine
Tags:valentine's day, diy, homemade gift ideas, valentine, crafts,
Feb 09 2016
Ever find yourself in the mood to do a DIY project but not sure where to start? Buying a can of chalkboard paint is a great step because there are so many things you can do with it at home! Keep reading to find five DIY projects that can be done with chalkboard paint.
1. Paint the base of a set of wine glasses with chalkboard paint. Your guests can write their names in chalk so they don't mix up their glasses.
2. Put chalkboard paint on one side of a couple of coffee mugs. Write a good morning message to your family or friends when you serve them a fresh cup.
3. Paint the inside of one of your cabinets to turn it into a hidden chalkboard. Write down important recipes or cooking measurements you don't want to forget.
4. Use the chalkboard paint to have an instant chalkboard wall on any wall in your house. This is especially fun in children's bedrooms or playrooms.
5. Paint the top of a wooden coffee table so the kids can draw chalk art right in the living room.
Tags:chalkboard paint, diy, house projects, crafts, chalkboard wine glasses, chalkboard mugs
Jan 28 2016
The temperatures are feeling more spring-like than winter-like this week and we’re not complaining! We still have over a month of winter left so we’ve put together a winter bucket list for you! How many items on this list can you already cross off and how many do you plan to cross off before spring?
1. Go ice skating
2. Build a snowman
3. Go skiing
4. Photograph the snow
5. Go sledding
6. Drink hot chocolate (with marshmallows)
7. Light a fire or sit by one with a good book
8. Have a snowball fight
9. Make a crock pot soup
10. See a movie
11. Bake cookies (from scratch)
12. Make snow angels
13. Host or attend a Super Bowl party
14. Learn to knit
15. Make mulled wine
Tags:winter, bucket list, hot chocolate, ice skating, sledding, skiing, winter activities, mulled wine, knitting
Jan 19 2016
It looks like we have a winter storm heading our way this upcoming weekend! Whenever the forecast calls for snow, it seems people rush to the grocery store to stock up on bread, milk and bottled water. Keep reading to see what we recommend you do to prepare for our first big winter storm.
1. Check heating system to make sure that it is working.
2. Check batteries in smoke/carbon monoxide detectors.
3. Have plenty of drinking water on hand.
4. Make sure you know how to turn water off in the event pipes freeze.
5. Charge your cell phone so the battery is full. Especially if you don't have a landline.
6. Have salt, sand and a shovel on hand.
7. Collect warm coats and blankets and make sure they are in an easily accessible place.
8. Have a working flashlight ready with extra batteries.
9. Stock up on food that does not need to be heated in case of power outage.
10. Make sure all windows, doors and sliders are closing properly to avoid extra cold air getting inside.
Tags:winter, storm, preparing for storm, snowstorm checklist
Jan 13 2016
When the temperatures get low it's hard to get motivated to brave the cold to spend your spare time. Rather than bundling up to shop or go out to dinner or the movies, try some of these activities this winter!
1. Host a game night at home.
2. Have friends over and setup a hot chocolate bar.
3. Have a Netflix or movie marathon (complete with a cozy blanket and slippers.)
4. Read that book you haven't had the time to pick up.
5. Host an at home wine tasting.
6. Try some of those Pinterest craft projects you've pinned
7. While you're at it, try cooking some of those recipes too.
8. Have lots of photographs on your phone? Use a printing app to get them printed and arrange them in photo albums.
9. Update your playlists on iTunes and download some new music.
10. When all else fails....do some research on booking a tropical vacation!