Oct 21 2014
There are obviously many things you have to purchase when you move into your first apartment, but we've compiled a list of 7 must-have items that you'll need right away!
1. Trash can- When you're moving into a new home you'll be surprised how much trash you can accumulate while you're getting settled!
2. Bedding- Whether or not you have a queen sized bed or you're sleeping on the couch, you'll certainly need a blanket and pillow when it's time to rest!
3. Bathroom necessities- Besides your normal toiletries, you'll need to make sure you have a shower curtain, soap, shampoo, towels and toilet tissue.
4. Plates & eating utensils- You might be ordering takeout while getting adjusted to your new home, but you'll need plates and forks to have on hand.
5. A coffee pot and coffee - If you are a caffeine lover, you'll need a way to get your fix while spending your days unpacking boxes.
6. Drinking glasses/ mugs - You'll need mugs for your early morning cup of joe and glasses for water so you can stay hydrated while you're hard at work!
7. Lamps- Let there be light! You'll need to be able to see while you're moving! Any rooms that don't have overhead lighting will need lamps.
Tags:what to buy for first apartment, apartment necessities, items for a new home
Oct 15 2014
Keurig coffee makers have certainly made our lives easier! They make a single cup in seconds and we no longer have to wait for hot coffee to perk before we can enjoy it. If you have a Keurig at home, do you clean it often? Do you know the proper way to clean it? Here are the steps to follow!
1.Disassemble the brewer. Open the cover of the brewer by lifting the handle and remove the K-Cup holder inside.
2. Wash the holder, drip tray, funnel and drip plate in the dishwasher. These parts are all dishwasher safe!
3. Clean the exit needle. The bottom and upper portions of the K-Cup holder both have exit needles with three holes. You can use a small, sharp object like a needle or paper clip to ensure there isn't any leftover buildup inside.
4. Use hot water and soap to clean out the plastic water reservoir and cover in the sink. Make sure to get all of the soap out and then let it dry.
5. Use a sponge to wipe down the exterior of the machine to remove any dirt or dust that might have been floating around your kitchen.
6. Reassemble your Keurig and enjoy a hot cup of coffee in your freshly, cleaned machine!
Oct 10 2014
Tis the season for pumpkin carving and when it comes to picking the right pumpkin, there are steps you can take to make sure you pick a winner! Keep reading to find out what you should look for when you are searching at the pumpkin patch!
1. Pick it up and feel the weight. You'll want to choose a pumpkin that feels heavy for it's size.
2. Look at the coloring. Make sure there isn't patches of different coloring on your pumpkin. You'll want one that has a great orange color throughout.
3. Flip it upside down and push on the bottom with your thumb. If the pumpkin flexes or feels soft at all it isn't fresh.
4. Feel around and check for any mold or soft spots that indicate it will spoil earlier than other pumpkins.
5. Look at the stem and make sure it looks solid. If it has a green tinge to it that means it was freshly harvested.
6. Feel the surface. You'll want a pumpkin that has a wide, smooth surface on at least one side so you can properly carve your masterpiece with plenty of space!
Tags:pumpkin carving, how to pick a pumpkin, how to choose a pumpkin for carving, picking out a pumpkin
Oct 01 2014
We love our furry friends but sometimes their fur and hair can get to be a burden! It covers the couches, our clothes and our carpets. Here are 5 ways to get your house pet-hair free in no time!
1. Cover your pet's favorite spot with a blanket or cover up - especially if that favorite spot happens to be on the couch.
2. Use lint rollers on your clothes AND your pillows. They will pick up tiny hairs that can't be seen by the naked eye.
3. When fur causes build up on your baseboards or hardwood floors, use dryer sheets to pick up the mess. They also smell great which is an added bonus!
4. Invest in a vacuum that specializes in pet hair cleanup. Some vacuums have filters that contain pet dander better than others. They also come with special attachments for furniture.
5. Groom your pets as often as possible. You don't have to spend a fortune bringing them to the groomer either. You can brush them and trim them right at home to eliminate any fur that might fall!
Tags:cleaning pet hair, how to eliminate pet hair, how to keep house clean of dog hair, cleaning cat hair
Sep 26 2014
Now that we've officially entered the autumn season it's time to bring out the fall decor! Here are 5 ideas that will spruce up your apartment and give you that festive, fall feeling!
1. Create a festive centerpiece for your dining room - Add mini pumpkins and pine cones to a vase or decorating with fall-colored candles
2. Add mums to your porch or balcony - The orange, yellow and dark red colors of these plants will brighten up your outdoor space through the season
3. Add a festive wreath to your door Whether you are in a single family home or an apartment, adding a wreath to your front door is a great way to brighten up your entryway for your guests
4. Add a seasonal doormat to your entryway They may just be used to wipe your feet, but switching out your doormat each season is a great way to add some autumn flair.
5. Dress up your mantel Have a fireplace in your home? The mantel is a great place to add pumpkins, garland and other autumn pieces for extra color in your living room!