Jul 28 2014
We're all guilty of letting our closet get out of control every once in a while. To save yourself from making a mess and drowning in clothes and shoes in your closet, keep reading for our closet organization tips!
1. Get rid of what you don't wear! Rather than letting old items take up space, clean out your closet at the end of every season and make a pile of clothes/items that can be donated.
2. Use baskets and hooks! Baskets on the shelves in your closet can hold smaller items like hats, gloves and purses. Hooks can be used to hold items like belts and scarves to keep them out of the way.
3. Get a shoe organizer! If you are someone who has a lot of shoes, try investing in a shoe organizer that hangs over the door to your closet to free up all of the space on the floor.
4. Avoid piles! If you fold clothes and start piling them on the shelves in your closet you'll quickly start losing space! Pretty soon your pile will grow and become the home for items you don't know where to store.
5. Use vacuum-sealed bags for storage! If you are normally keeping your winter clothes in the back of your closet during summer, consider investing in vacuum storage bags! You can store all of your sweaters and coats in the bags and then shrink the bags down and store on the shelves or on the floor to make space.
Tags:small closets, apartment closet storage, reorganizing closet, saving space in closet, cleaning out bedroom closet
Jul 24 2014
When we come home at night we want to kick off our shoes and relax in a place that is warm and comfortable. Does your home currently feel cold and uninviting? Try out these ideas for making your home a bit more cozy.
1. Invest in a soft throw rug. If your home has hardwood or tile floor, try adding a rug in the sitting area to make the surface softer and more comfortable to walk on.
2. Buy comfortable throw pillows. Sure those pretty pillows covered in sequins look nice but are they practical? Add some soft, fluffy throw pillows to your couch to maximize comfort.
3. Add a blanket. Whether it's on the back of the couch or you have a basket full of them, make sure there are soft blankets available whether you or a guest want to curl up.
4. Think about scents. What smell makes you most relaxed? Is it lavender or sandalwood? Maybe it's the smell of fresh baking apple pie. Add some scents using plug-in air fresheners or oil warmers to give your home a signature smell.
4. Low lighting is key. Try adding 3-way bulbs to your living room lamps so you can dim the lighting when needed. Low-lit rooms are more relaxing and cozy than bright, fluorescent ones!
Tags:how to make living room cozy, cozy apartment, living room ideas, ways to make apartment comfortable
Jul 17 2014
Sometimes our homes can get cluttered and the mess can give us added stress that we don't need! When living in a smaller space like an apartment, it's important to keep things well-organized so you don't feel over-crowded. Here are 5 tips for staying clutter-free in your apartment.
1. Invest in a file cabinet and shredder- Have lots of bills, old insurance documents and junk mail laying around? Instead of letting a pile accumulate on the kitchen table, shred what you don't need and file the important documents in a well-organized file cabinet!
2. Keep your sink dish-free - Sometimes dishes can get the best of us (especially after cooking a large meal) but to keep food odors away, spend five minutes after eating cleaning the dishes and filling up the dishwasher.
3. Have specified laundry days - Dirty laundry can really pile up making your bedroom feel smaller and smaller! Invest in a good size hamper to hide the dirty clothes and schedule designated days to get the laundry done. When the laundry is finished drying, fold it and put it away before it sits around and becomes wrinkled.
4. Make use of the space under your bed - Our beds take up a lot of room in our bedrooms. If your bed frame allows, start using that space for storage! Purchase air-tight plastic bags to store winter clothes during the summer or full a large plastic container with your blankets and shoes. Don't waste the space just because you can't see it!
5. Purchase baskets or bins for closet storage - Rather than throwing all of your toiletries and towels on shelves, try organizing your items by putting them in baskets! Hats and gloves can go in a basket in your coat closet and purses and accessories can go in baskets in your bedroom closet. Having designated spaces for items makes your home look and feel more organized.
Tags:apartment organization, how to organize an apartment, ways to reduce clutter, how to organize a small space
Jul 11 2014
By now the kids are all out of school and summer vacation is in full swing! Some days it's too hot to play outside and some days the rain interrupts our plans. Here are ten ideas for activities you and the kids can try to stay entertained until school starts up again!
1. Visit your local library! A lot of libraries offer summer activities for children like story time or sing alongs. Take the kids and register them for a library card if you haven't already. While there they can rent a few books to read over vacation!
2. Play mini golf! Mini golf is a fun activity for both kids and adults. Many establishments offer other fun activities like ice cream, bumper boats and live music too.
3. Visit a zoo! Whether it's a small petting zoo or a large zoo full of wildlife, the kids will be sure to enjoy seeing animals in their natural habitats.
4. See a matinee! On a day when the weather isn't cooperating, take the kids to see a movie during the day. Lots of local theaters serve a variety of lunch foods too so you can have lunch AND a show all in one!
5. Check out an indoor or outdoor playground! Depending on the weather there are both options! Maybe even call some friends and have their kids meet you so a group of you can all play together.
6. Plan a day at an amusement park! What kids don't love rides, arcade games and delicious food? An amusement park has a little something for everyone in the family to enjoy.
7. Enjoy a pool day! Whether you live in one of our apartment communities that has a pool or your town has a local one, sitting poolside is always a fun summer time activity.
8. Create some art! Whether you do this at home or head to a local paint shop or pottery making class, the kids will enjoy unleashing their inner artist during their time away from school.
9. Visit a museum! Keep their minds moving over summer vacation by taking the kids to a local museum. Lowell has lots of textile museums and there are children's museums in Boston and Acton, MA!
10. Check out the aquarium! Sharks, fish, turtles and penguins! There's plenty to see at your local aquarium. Some places even have shows you can attend once you get there so you can see penguins getting trained and fish being fed!
Tags:summer vacation ideas, summer activities for kids, how to keep kids entertained in summer, 10 activities for kids, indoor summer activities
Jul 03 2014
Hurricane Arthur may be on his way but that isn't going to stop us from celebrating the 4th of July up here in New England! Whether you are celebrating on the 4th or the weekend after, there will be plenty of cookouts and parties to attend! Want to bring a festive dessert with you? Check out these 5 Patriotic recipes!
1. July Fourth Flag Cake (recipe here)
2. Red White and Blue Trifle (recipe here)
3. Rice Krispie Treat Cheesecake bars (recipe here)
4. Blue Velvet Cupcakes (recipe here)
5. Patriotic Whoopie Pies (recipe here)